California Historical Landmarks in San Mateo County
California Historical Landmark 394
Discovery of San Francisco Bay
Plaque On Southeast Corner of Crespi Drive and State Highway 1
Actual Site on Sweeney Ridge Trail
Captain Gaspar de Portolá camped October 31, 1769, by the creek at the south side of this valley and to that camp scouting parties brought news of a body of water to the east. On November 4 the expedition advanced turning inland here. They climbed to the summit of Sweeney Ridge and beheld for the first time the Bay of San Francisco.
State Registered Landmarks Nos. 24 and 394
Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by County Board of Supervisors in cooperation with San Mateo County Historical Association.
Dedicated October 16, 1949
This marker is unusual in that it commemorates two California landmarks, Landmark 24 and Landmark 394.
The Discovey of San Francisco Bay is also a National Landmark.