San Joaquin County Points of Interest
The marker reads:
Head of Navigation
For the Stockton Channel in 1849 was at El Dorado Street. Sailing ships and paddlewheel steamboats made the Stockton levees a major supply center for the Southern Mines during the Gold Rush. In 1933, the Port of Stockton became California's first modern inland seaport.
Erected 1972 by Tuleburgh Chapter No. 69
E Clampus Vitus
April 15, 1972.