National Register of Historic Places in San Joaquin County
The Lodi Woman's Club is an excellent example of Neo-Classicism, exhibiting the characteristic monumentality and detailing of that style, yet also designed to reflect its use by the women of the community.
The Lodi Woman's Club was formed in the fall of 1906 and dedicated to the betterment of the town of Lodi. A number of subcommittees of the new organization took up projects for beautifying Lodi's streets, parks, and school grounds. A literary committee was charged with broadening clubmembers' awareness and appreciation of music, history, art, and literature.
By the end of the teens, the club focused on the need to provide the town with a suitable auditorium for lectures, theater events, dances and other social activities. This building was the result.
During the 1920s, the Woman's Club was the only facility in Lodi for dramatic performances, lectures and the like. Local theater groups and traveling companies used the Club, as did wedding parties and social and civic organizations. No other location in Lodi was capable of holding so many people.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1988.