National Register of Historic Places in San Joaquin County
This steel-reinforced brick and terra-cotta Renaissance Revival building rises through seven full stories to the bracketed cornice line. A penthouse, which is set back from the edge of the roof, adds an eighth story. As Stockton's first skyscraper, it helped bring a 20th century metropolitan appearance to the city.
The brick and terra cotta decoration were made at the Carnegie Brick and Pottery Plant, once a major California producer of such materials. This building is one of the finest examples of a building constructed entirely of clay products from Carnegie.
The bank lobby is an exceptionally well preserved example of the lavish decoration used in commercial buildings of the period. The Tuolumne County marble is particularly notable.
The upper three floors were designed for the Yosemite Club, the oldest chartered men's club in California founded in 1888.
Several elements of technology and office design made their Stockton debut in this building: a Private Branch Exchange switchboard, the revolving door, private rooms for safe deposit box patrons and a private waiting and rest area for women.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1978.