National Register of Historic Places in San Diego County
Park Place Methodist Episcopal Church South remains as a remarkable example of a Classical Revival building designed by a master architect Norman Foote Marsh. Built in 1910, it is located at the edge of one of the great city parks in the nation, the scene of two world's fairs, Balboa Park.
The Methodist Episcopal congregation held services here for fifty years and then, as members families moved to other parts of San Diego, they turned the building over to those of the Baptist faith which maintained the building for twenty-five more years. In 1978, the Baptists moved to a different location.
The building was vacant in 1982 when it was nominated for the National Register.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination approved in 1983.
When we photographed the building in 2016, it was named The Abbey on Fifth Avenue operated by Hornblower Cruises & Events as a venue for private and public events.