National Register of Historic Places in Sacramento County
The Sacramento Bank Building is significant for its neoclassical design and for its contribution to the commercial development of the Oak Park neighborhood. The Bank is the only example of its type in Oak Park and one of the better privately-owned neoclassical structures in Sacramento.
The architecture is typical of banks built in the early 20th century, a time of resurgent interest in classical forms as symbols of permanence and solidity in public and commercial buildings. The architect's accurate and detailed use of classical elements is evident despite substantial alterations to the building in 1947. Bank of America removed a copper dome above the two columns, extended the building twenty-four to the rear and added a border of black tiles to the lower perimeter.
Between 1900 and 1911, Oak Park saw substantial population and commercial growth, becoming Sacramento's first modern suburb.
Beginning in the late 1890s with John Steen's Saloon, business enterprise developed rapidly. By 1911 such enterprises presented the image of a prosperous, comfortable small town that included: ten groceries, ten saloons, three restaurants, several dentists, doctors, druggists, teachers, printers, building contractors, hardware and jewelry stores, theaters, shoemakers, etc.
Such services made Oak Park's eight thousand residents virtually self-sufficient in relation to downtown Sacramento.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1982.