Plumas County Points of Interest
The marker reads:
Stump Ranch, a stage stop on the Red Bluff - Susanville Wagon Road, was also the road's caretaker. It may have changed hands in an 1890's poker game. The name arose after 1880's logging left a field of stumps. So it could be recorded as swamp land in 1869, surveyors worked from a horse drawn wooden boat. J. C. Tyler, the road's agent, charged tolls: $1 for a horseman, $10 per 8 horse hitch, 16¢ per head of cattle and 10¢ for sheep and hogs. The road and ranch have seen many a cowboy, pioneer, Indian, logger, gold prospector, outlaw, drover, and Civil War vet heading for California.
Dedicated July 17, 6004 (1999) by Vigilantes Outpost No. 1911
Las Plumas del Oro Chapter No. 8
Of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus