National Register of Historic Places in Plumas County
Warner Valley Ranger Station was one of the first three buildings erected by the National Park Service in Lassen Volcanic National Park in 1926, along with ranger stations of different styles at Summit Lake and Butte Lake (demolished some years ago). During its first winter, the building was damaged by the heavy snow load and was rebuilt during the summer of 1927, standing today little altered from its 1927 form.
Historically, the warner Valley Ranger Station has served part of each year as residence for a park ranker responsible for patrolling that section of the park. The building is closed and empty during the winter.
The solid wood walls are constructed of 2 by 6 inch planks laid flat one on top of another with extended butt joints at the corners as in log cabin construction; it is thus an adaption of the method of building a log cabin to a structure built of milled lumber.
This is the only known structure in National Park Service areas in the Western Region of this unusual type of construction. The extended butt joint is an architectural detail popular in the Arts and Crafts Movement in the United States early in the 20th century.
Source: NRHP nomination dated 3 April 1978.