Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Placer County
Colfax Library is believed to have been started by a group of volunteer women in 1938. The first known library was housed in a small building next to the home of Mrs. Viscia, which was located on Grass Valley Street.
In 1943, the library was moved to the old bakery building at the North end of Main Street.
The library moved again in 1946 to a small building next door to Kaufmann's Gas Station and Garage. The library remained there until 1951 when it moved next door into the former telephone company building.
The library stayed in this building for twenty years, and then in 1971 it moved to the Justice Building on the corner of Culver Street.
Finally in 1976, the library made its final move to the old Colfax Post Office building at the corner of Church and Main.
Source: Placer County Website