Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Placer County
A marker on the front of the building reads:
Auburn Iron Works
The Central Pacific Railroad reached Auburn in 1865. This site has been a blacksmithing shop since shortly thereafter. In 1890 it became known as Auburn Iron Works. Blacksmithing, one of the most valuable trades in the foothills, provided services to mining operations, transportation needs, agricultural concerns and continues today as a valuable asset to the community. Because of early owners like Smith and Sandorffer, to more recent owner "Red" Gebhart and current owner Norma Harris, Auburn Iron Works has the distinction of having been in continuous operation for over 100 years.
Dedicated March 14, 1992 by Auburn Parlor No. 59 and Grand President Thomas W. Parazzo
Native Sons of the Golden West