National Register of Historic Places in Klamath County
The Sinnott Memorial Building is an irregularly shaped massive masonry and concrete structure built to conform to the topography of its site, Victory Rock, a cliff fifty feet below Crater Lake rim.
Access is via a moderately steep asphalt and stone path and stairs with a stone parapet. Visitor entrance is via an elliptically shaped "observation room" on the north side of the structure, with the "museum," an L-shaped room, on the same level on the south of the observation room which is built into the cliff.
From the time of its completion in 1931, the building has offered "...one of the most spectacular views of the lake that can be found within the park and is used by practically all visitors to the park."
Its construction was authorized by Congress "in memory of the late Oregon Congressman Nicholas J. Sinnott in honor of his service to the state and to Crater Lake National Park."
It was the first structure in the park to reflect Merel Sager's use of massive stone masonry, which later became part of the rustic architecture style dominating the headquarters area of Crater Lake National Park. The use of large stones required the development of new building techniques later used elsewhere in the park.
Adapted from the NRHP Nomination Form.