National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
"Topsides" was built in 1927 for Alfred St. Vrain and Helen Bundy Carpenter. It was added to and augmented in several phases through the early 1950s.
The main dwelling was designed by Medford-based architect Louis B. Humphrys in the English Cottage style and the significant landscapes were designed by Medford native Charles Howard Voorhies.
As the home of the prominent philanthropists Alfred St. Vrain Carpenter and his wife Helen Bundy Carpenter for most of their adult lives, the Carpenter House is significant both for its design and for its strong association with these influential southern Oregonian civic and business leaders who made significant philanthropic investments throughout their lives.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 2005.