National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
The Tayler-Phipps Building is representative of commercial buildings constructed in Medford in the early 20th century. It is one of only four structures in the eight-block commercial core to have escaped excessive exterior alteration in recent years. The three other unaltered buildings are the former Garnett-Corey Building, the Wilkenson-Swem Building and the Sparta Building.
Designed by architect C. O. Powers and built in 1909, the Tayler-Phipps Building and its neighbors were erected in a period of intense development in Medford as a result of fruit industry expansion.
In 1937 the Tayler portion was modestly remodeled in the Art Deco style with characteristic use of black Carrara glass and mosaic tile.
The shoe store, started by Taylor when the building was new, has passed through several owners but is still in business.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1990.