National Register of Historic Places in Jackson County
The Walker House one of the oldest dwellings in the Rogue River drainage basin. Essentially intact, it is believed to have been built between 1856 and 1858 for John P. Walker, one of Ashland's Applegate Trail pioneers, a rancher and advocate of public education.
John Walker was one of several Ashland area settlers who entered the Bear Creek Valley in 1853. Records of the Southern Oregon Pioneer Association recount that:
"Walker was born in Christian County, Kentucky in 1822. In 1829 he removed to Illinois with his parents, and 1839 moved to Iowa. There he engaged in farming until 1849, at which time the gold fields of California lured him across the plains to the Pacific Coast. He returned to Iowa after a few months' stay in California but, like most others who once experienced the environments of this coast, its fine climate, rich resources and promising future, he was not satisfied to remain away and concluded to come to Oregon, which trip he made via the southern route in 1853. He came direct to Jackson County."
While there seems to be no documented evidence as to the precise date he built the house, Walker is believed to have commenced construction in the later 1850s on a Donation Land Claim.
Today, the house is a private residence.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1978.