National Register of Historic Places in Douglas County
The Rice Brothers and Adams Building played an integral role in the local mining economy.
In 1900, the superintendent of the Chieftan and Continental Gold Mines persuaded the farmer, James Rice, to start a produce and drygoods store which would have the exclusive patronage of the mines. The resulting enterprise was probably the first mercantile business in the vicinity of Myrtle Creek.
In 1915, Rice and his brother constructed this building on Main Street in partnership Henry Adams. It was the largest mercantile business in the area.
The first floor was a grocery and drygoods store. The basement contained a warehouse stocked with winter supplies for the mines and outlying farms. Warehouse items were transported between the railroad station across bottom land to the west and a loading platform in the rear wall of the building.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination.