Nevada Historical Landmarks in Storey County
Nevada Historical Landmark 209
F Street at Entrance to Chollar Mine
First located in 1859, the Chollar was consolidated with the Potosi in 1865. As the Chollar-Potosi, it was one of the leading producers on the Comstock. The Nevada Mill was erected here in 1887 to process low-grade Chollar ore. It was the last to use the Washoe Pan Process, but the first on the Comstock to generate and utilize electric power.
On this winter day, a locked entrance gate prevented us from touring the mine or viewing the historical marker near the entrance to the mine.