National Register of Historic Places in Lyon County
The Fernley Community Church building was constructed in 1910 as a rural school house located on a ranch five miles east of Fernley. The East End School served the eastern portion of the district until construction of a new school in Fernley in 1922.
The East End School building stood mostly vacant until it was purchased by the Ladies Aid Society in 1932. Sam White, a local builder and house mover, donated his services and the building was moved onto the Center Street lot. A variety of alterations were made to the building, including the exterior stucco coating, and it was dedicated for community use on May 22,1932.
The Fernley Community Church served as one of the social focal points of the Fernley community during the next several decades. Fernley remained a small rural community for the next twenty years. As a community with only 400 to 500 residents, including the surrounding farms and ranches, local venues for entertainment and social life remained limited. The Fernley Community Church hosted every religious group known in the community as well as school activities, movies, socials, and meetings of every stripe imaginable.
It has also housed all of the Ladies Aid Society functions and efforts to promote the social welfare of the greater Fernley community.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 2003.