Nevada Historic Markers in Lander County
Nevada Historical Marker 176
The Federal Government historically has supported numerous surveys for the purpose of measuring the domain which extended, after 1848, to the Pacific. These surveys sought railway routes, military relationships, water transport and wagon roads. The survey activity was extended to all territories, but not to states.
Nevada, in part, was the site of two notable surveys: Honey Lake to Fort Kearny wagon road, completed in 1860 by Captain Lander; and the route surveyed by Lieutenant Simpson, Camp Floyd to Genoa, in 1859.
Military engineers engaged in this activity included Stansbury, Marcy, Whipple, Beale, Simpson and Lander. The name of Captain F. W. Lander stands out as a contributor to Nevada's history. He has been memorialized in the name of a prominent county. Nearby Simpson Park Mountains are named for Lieutenant Simpson.
State Historical Marker No. 176
Nevada State Park System
Nevada Highway Department