National Register of Historic Places in Lander County
St. George's Episcopal Church was built in 1877-78 during the pastorate of the Rev. S. C. Blackiston according to a design by an unidentified San Francisco architect.
A corner bell tower dominates the exterior of the nave-form brick building. Interior features include a hammerbeam-scissor truss roof, redwood roof boards, yellow pine graining and an original 296-pipe Mills organ.
A local builder, Michael Finnegan, was the general contractor. Prolific central Nevada mason, John C. Wholey, was also involved in the project.
When it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003, St. George's was the only historic Austin church still used by the denomination that built it.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination form submitted in 2003.