National Register of Historic Places in Humboldt County
The Winnemucca Main Post Office is a good example of a small town single-purpose post office.
The building's Neo-Classical design originated from standardized plans developed by the National Office of the Supervising Architect. Winnemucca received one of the few buildings constructed by Uncle Sam in the 1920s. Indeed Winnemucca was only the second Nevada town in the 20th century to receive a federal building. (Reno's original federal building was the first, but it was razed).
In 1940, the building was expanded, and a federally funded mural was commissioned for the lobby. The oil on canvas mural by Polly Duncan depicts several cowboys guiding cattle into a shed while the bulk of the herd is being driven in from the broad expanse of the Nevada landscape.
The 1940 addition and the mural symbolize the federal government's aid to and link with small communities during a period of national economic emergency.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP Nomination Form submitted in 1990.
The building now houses Winnemucca City Hall.