Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Douglas County
The Cary Mill
Here stood the first grist mill in Carson Valley built in Mill Canyon Genoa in 1854 by wheelwright Thomas Knott for Colonel John Reese. It was moved to this site by William M. Cary in 1865.
Behind the mill stood a dwelling house, which served as the toll house for the Kingsbury Road.
After it was purchased in 1874 by Robert Falcke. It was called the Farmers Mill. It stood until about 1910.
Carson Valley Marker #2
Douglas County Commissioners
Carson Valley Historical Society
The Cary Mill marker is located beside an obelisk which marks the Pony Express Trail and near Nevada Historical Marker 117: Kingsbury Grade.