Nevada Historic Markers in Douglas County
Nevada Historical Marker 207
Kingsbury Grade Near the Summit
Carson Valley below, now a broad expanse of cultivated and pasture lands, was originally a strip of meadow along the banks of the river where 49'ers, following the California branch of the emigrant trail, rested their stock and bought vegetables from the Mormon station owners.
After discovery of the Comstock Lode (1858) settlers extended the natural meadows by irrigation to provide hay, meat and butter for the miners in Virginia City and neighboring towns.
From 1870, German, Danish and Swiss immigrants enlarged the area still more to supply produce to booming Bodie and, after 1905, to supply Tonopah and Goldfield.
Good range and agricultural practices have allowed Carson Valley to continue to be one of Nevada's finest agricultural areas.
State Historical Marker No. 207
Nevada State Park System
Nevada Section, Society for Range Management