Nevada Historic Markers in Douglas County

Nevada Historical Marker 126
Double Springs
US 395
Thirteen Miles South of Gardnerville

Nevada Historic Marker 126: Double Springs
Nevada Historic Marker 126: Double Springs

24 February 2007
(Click Photo to Zoom)

Double Springs

Double Springs was the notorious Round Tent Ranch, or Spragues, another station on the road to Esmeralda. Here, James C. Dean, one of the owners and Justice of the Peace in the District in 1864, murdered his wife. This station was connected by the Olds Toll Road with the headquarters of the horse thieves at Fairview.

This was also the place where the Washoe Indian tribe, assisted by their neighbors, the Paiutes, held round dances in the spring to assure the growth of the pine nut, their staple food, and again in the fall for the quality and quantity of the crop.

About four miles north is Mammoth Lodge, post office of the Eagle Mining District, and the polling place in 1861 of the Mammoth precinct of Douglas County. After 1866, it was known as Carter's Station, a stopping place on the road to Esmeralda.

State Historical Marker No. 126
Nevada State Park System
Carson Valley Historical Society

Prev | Next
Douglas County: List | Map
State of Nevada: List | Map