National Register of Historic Places in Carson City
The Kitzmeyer Furniture Factory was constructed in 1873 by George W. Kitzmeyer (1836-1989).
Kitzmeyer, a native of Germany, was attracted to Carson City in the late 1860s as a result of the Comstock mining boom. Once in Nevada, he established a harness shop in partnership with his two brothers. George Kitzmeyer also continued to pursue his first vocation as a furniture maker. By 1873 he was sufficiently established to construct a furniture factory and showroom on the corner of Carson and Telegraph Streets in Carson City.
The Kitzmeyer Furniture Factory is the oldest surviving Italianate-style, commercial building in Carson City. It was documented as part of a comprehensive architectural survey funded through the Nevada Division of Historic Preservation and Archeology and the National Park Service in 1980. This survey identified twelve historically or architecturally significant buildings in downtown Carson City. Of these twelve, the Kitzmeyer Furniture Factory was found to be the most intact example of Italianate style architecture associated with the commercial development of late 19th century Carson City.
Source: NRHP Nomination Form