National Register of Historic Places in Santa Fe County
The first member of the Spiegelberg family to come to Santa Fe was Solomon Jacob, a sutler who arrived with the United States Army in the late summer of 1846 when Santa Fe was still under Mexican rule. (Sutlers sold wares from the back of a wagon or a temporary tent, traveling with an army to remote military outposts.) He was later joined by his four brothers, the youngest of whom was Willi
In 1880, this house was built for Willi and his wife, Flora, by European artisans who came to New Mexico because of the extensive building program of French-born Archbishop John B. Lamy. Although of adobe construction, the exterior of the house is European in appearance, except for the windows and doors which are of typical territorial design.
The Spiegelbergs, known for their hospitality, maintained this building as their home until they decided to leave New Mexico in 1888.
Source: Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 1973.