Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Nevada County
The marker reads:Williams Stationery Store
This building is known as "The Brick Store of Silvester and Salaman", it was built in 1854 and completed it 1855 by Henry Silvester and Abraham Salaman. It is both the first and oldest original brick (and stone) building in Grass Valley and the second oldest brick building in Nevada County. There have only been three owners of this building, Henry Sylvester, Paul Wesley Michell, and Elton and Helen Williams. Only five businesses have occupied the store in 145 years. H. Silvester Grocery, H. J. Fuchs Grocery, C. W. Jenkin Variety Store, Tresize Brothers Stationery Store, Williams Brothers, later changed to Williams Stationery Store.
April 3, 2000
By the Grand Parlor
Native Sons of the Golden West
The marker spells the last name of one of the founders two ways: Silvester and Sylvester.