Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Nevada County
The marker reads:
A natural glacier formation, or the work of an unknown tribe as a form of altar. It's [sic] exact origin will never be known. The perfectly balanced stone until recently would rock at the touch of a finger.
C. F. McGlashan built the original tower in 1895 and used it to display Donner Party relics and his famous butterfly collection. Site of an overnight stop for the Olympic Torch in 1960.
Dedicated July 15, 1967
Chief Truckee Chapter No 3691
E Clampus Vitus
Re-dedicated July 4, 1977