Historic Sites and Points of Interest in Nevada County
The marker reads:Charles Marsh House
Built about 1866 by Charles Marsh, who arrived here in July, 1849, in what would later become Nevada City. Marsh was the first county surveyor and the first county supervisor from Nevada City. He created the water distribution system which formed the basis for P. G. & E. and the Nevada Irrigation District.
Marsh was influential in the routing of the Central Pacific Railroad and served on its original Board of Directors, as well as the board of the Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad. He was also instrumental in creating a library association in Nevada City.
Wm. Bull Meek - Wm. Morris Stewart Chapter No. 10
E Clampus Vitus and
The Navada County Historical Landmarks Commission
October 5, 1996