California Historical Landmarks in Nevada County
California Historical Landmark 843
North Star Mine Powerhouse
Mining and Pelton Wheel Museum
South Mill at Allison Ranch Road
The North Star Powerhouse, built by A. D. Foote in 1895, was the first complete water powered compressed air transmission plant of its kind. Compressed air, generated by Pelton water wheels, furnished power for the entire mine operation. The 30 foot Pelton wheel was the largest in the world, and was in continuous use for over 30 years.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 843
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Nevada County Historical Society May 15, 1971