National Register of Historic Places in Napa County
The Ramos Sherry House and Depot Saloon were built by pioneering sherry-maker John Ramos in 1880, at the height of the early boom times for the California wine industry.
Like many wineries and commercial buildings built in St. Helena during the late 19th century and early 20th century, the Ramos Sherry House, was built with of the local trachytic tuff. The locally mined stone was relatively inexpensive, fire resistant and had good insulating properties, a benefit in the wine-making process.
The first floor of the Depot Saloon was also built with native trachytic tuff. The second floor is wood frame with shiplap siding. The saloon catered to customers arriving and departing from St. Helena at the neighboring railroad depot.
The two buildings were connected prior to 1899 and were used as a combination saloon and residence until 1922.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination submitted in 2007.