Monterey County Points of Interest
This house was constructed in 1868 by Isaac J. Harvey, before the arrival of the railroad, before the town's founding when only twelve other structures stood. Salinas City grew and the Harvey family helped lay its foundation. With son Benton, Isaac opened a mercantile store on Main Street and became the town's first mayor. Daughter, Sophronia, became the first teacher. Her class had only 9 students including sister, Mabel. Today that district has over 900.
Today, the historic Harvey House, grounds and original cookhouse is [sic] run by a small nonprofit agency. Its mission is to serve as an anchor for educational and cultural programs dedicated to historical exploration and discovery of shared community. The home has been completely restored, the family documents, photographs, clothes and furniture saved and returned, giving us a rare glimpse of early community life.
Source: Excerpted from the interpretive placard in front of the house.