California Historical Landmarks in Monterey County
California Historical Landmark 233
Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad
Fort Romie Road at Mission Road
This mission, founded October 9,1791 by Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuén, ministered to the Indians of the Salinas Valley. Governor José Joaquín de Arrillaga died here July 24, 1814 and was buried in the chapel. Prosperous in its early years, Soledad declined after 1825. Father Vicente Francisco Sarría stayed on in poverty, faithfully served the Indians until his death in 1835. Secularized in 1835, the mission was regranted to the Bishop of Monterey in 1859. In ruins after 1874, the chapel was reconstructed and dedicated under the auspices of the Native Daughters of the Golden West, October 9, 1955.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 233
Plaque placed by Grand Parlors, Native Daughters of the Golden West and Native Sons of the Golden West in cooperation with the California State Park Commission, October 14,1956.