Mono County Points of Interest
U. S. Marine Corps
Mountain Warfare Training Center
Was established in 1951, in cooperation with the U. S. Forest Service. One of the Corps most remote and isolated posts, the mission was providing cold weather training for Korea bound replacement personnel. The name changed to "Marine Corp Cold Weather Training Center" after the Korean conflict. In 1963, because of its expanded role, the center was re-named "Marine Corp Mountain Warfare Training Center," operating on a full-time basis until 1967 when it was placed on "caretaker" status because of the Vietnam War. The training center was re-activated and has remained a full-time command since 19 May, 1976.
Plaque dedicated September 9, 1995
Bodie Chapter of E Clampus Vitus