Mono County Points of Interest
Historic Knight Wheel
Originally hauled by mule teams from Mojave to Mill City in 1878 this Knight Wheel powered Mammoth Mining Company's 20 stamp mill for processing gold ore until 1895, when it was relocated to Mammoth City.
This high pressure, low volume wheel was ultimately moved to it's present location in 1902 and converted to an electric generating plant for the Wildasinn Hotel nearby. In the 1920s, it also supplied electricity to Charlie Summer's Mammoth Camp.
The adjacent structure housed the generator and is the oldest known building in Mammoth. The log cabin just north was also built in the early 1900s.
Erected by Southern Mono Historical Society
Dempsey Construction Company.