Mono County Points of Interest
Founded in 1860 by A. Horteshorne, Coleville played a major roll in the development of Mono County. It was once known as Centerville, Double Town (due to the high prices charged for supplies) and Amonia. It was finally named as Coleville after Senator Cornielus [sic] Cole. Coleville was one of the very important stage and freighter supply centers coming to Bodie and Mono County area from the booming towns of the Comstock Lode Country.
Plaque placed by the Bodie Chapter of the E. Clampus Vitus Society in cooperation with the Mono County Board of Supervisors.
September 10, 1966.