National Register of Historic Places in Marin County
William G. Barrett, a lumber baron from Vermont, built Casa Madrona.
He and his family lived high above the town in his beautifully designed Italian Villa country home.
The Barretts occupied the house until 1902 when it was converted into a guest house.
John P. Gallagher, an attorney, purchased Casa Madrona in 1910. For thirty years, it was first the Casa Madrona Hotel, later the Gallagher Inn and, rumor has it, a bordello.
In the early 1940s, Gallagher sold Casa Madrona to Floyd Allensby. During World War II, the property provided temporary lodging for military families in transit. After the war, it fell into disrepair, and became a crash pad for Sausalito's burgeoning beatnik population.
In 1959, Robert Henri and Marie-Louise Deschamps renovated the property and opened Le Vivoir Restaurant. (During World War II, Robert Henri had been a member of the French underground.) For many years, Le Vivoir was one of the most exclusive restaurants in the Bay Area.
After Casa Madrona's foundation was damaged by mudslides in 1973, Sausalito officials declared it unsafe and ordered that ir be demolished. John Mays purchased the property, saved it, added sixteen hillside cottages, and continues to operate it as the Casa Madrona. Hotel & Spa