California Historical Landmarks in Marin County
California Historical Landmark 999
Marin County Civic Center
Junction of North San Pedro Road and Civic Center Drive
Built 1962 and 1970
The Civic Center complex was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (1869-1959) near the end of his long career. The Administration Building was completed in 1962 and the Hall of Justice in 1970. They are the only government buildings designed by the distinguished architect that were ever actually constructed. The project fully embodied Wright's ideal of organic architecture--a synthesis of buildings and landscape. In Wright's words, the structures were planned to "melt into the sunburnt hills."
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 999
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the citizens of Marin County.
December 31, 1992