California Historical Landmarks in Marin County
California Historical Landmark 207
First Sawmill in Marin County
Old Mill Park
Throckmorton and Cascade Drive
Plaque at Blithedale Avenue and Tower Drive
Two miles west is the old saw mill, from which the city of Mill Valley acquired its name. It was constructed in the 1830's by John Reed, grantee of the Rancho Corte Madera del Presidio. The creek waters furnished the motive power for the mill, which was the first in the San Francisco Bay region to supply lumber.
State Registered Landmark No. 207
Marker placed by California Centennials Commission in cooperation with Marin County Historical Society.
Dedicated October 17, 1950