California Historical Landmarks in Kern County
California Historical Landmark 133
Sebastian Indian Reservation
Grapevine Road and Rose Station Road
The Sebastian or Tejón Indian Reservation (headquarters ten miles east of here) was established in 1853 by General Edward Fitzgerald Beale as one of several California reservations. The number of Indians quartered here varied from 500 to 2,000. General Beale acquired title to this area under Mexican land grant of 1843. In 1864 the U.S. government transferred the Indians to other reservations.
Citation from California Office of Historic Preservation