Inyo County Points of Interest
The town was named after Dr. Darwin French who explored the area in 1860 giving his name to the falls, canyon, and wash.
First recorded mine, the Promontorio, was discovered by Rafael Cuervo October 1874. Darwin was the center of activity of the New Coso Mining District. By 1877 three furnaces were in operation. The greatest producing mines were the Christmas Gift, Defiance, and Lucky Jim.
Recorded production of the district between 1875 and 1951 was 5,914 oz. gold; 7,630,492 oz. silver; 117,566,900 lbs. lead; 52,124,947 lbs. zinc; 1,489,396 lbs. copper.
Dedicated 10 October 1981
New Coso Heritage Society