National Register of Historic Places in Contra Costa County
A plaque on the building reads in part:
Paul de Martini built Clayton Vineyards Winery in 1885 on land formerly owned ny Joel Clayton, the area's first vintner. An Austrian stone mason directed construction, using stone quarried on Mount Diablo and hauled here by wagon teams. This was the second largest winery in Contra Costa County.
De Martini port, sherry, white claret and zinfandel won state, national and international recognition. De Martini sherries and ports won first prizes at the 1904 St. Louis Exposition.
Wine production ended when the 1919 Volstead Act prohibited alcoholic beverage sales. De Martini wine making did not resume when Prohibition ended in 1933. Phylloxera blighted vineyards had been replanted with orchards that were subdivided for housing after water service came to Clayton in the early 1950's. The winery was used for storage and as a residence before the city acquired the property in 1988.
Innovative engineering and creative design saved the historic structure and enabled the city to adapt it for functional use and community events.
Clayton's Civic Center was dedicated on August 30, 1997.