National Register of Historic Places in Contra Costa County
The Orinda Theatre was opened in 1941 and was built by Donald Rheem, with architect Alexander Aimwell Cantin. Slated for demolition in 1984, it was saved through the efforts of preservationists and reopened in 1989, when two additional screens were added. The original lobby and main theatre were left intact.
The murals in the #2 added theatre were saved from the Garden Theatre in San Jose when it was demolished.
Quoted from the Orinda Theatre website.