National Register of Historic Places in Montezuma County
The 1905 building is the only remaining evidence of the town's successfully orchestrated effort to defy the Rio Grande Southern Railroad by constructing substantial commercial buildings southeast of the railroad's siding. This effort established the commercial core of the town closer to the river and set the pattern of development for Mancos as it is known today.
The other commercial buildings at this intersection have all been lost, only the Bauer Bank Block remains. It is the oldest surviving commercial masonry building in the Mancos Valley, and the only historic commercial building left in town that employs the once popular combination of sandstone and brick.
Quoted from the History Colorado website.