National Register of Historic Places in La Plata County
The East Third Avenue Historic Residential District covers 380 acres and contains ninety-eight contributing buildings built between
1875 and 1949 (source NRHP website).
The neighborhood contains mansions and cottages and everything in between with examples of almost every residential architectural style
built in America during the last quarter of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century.
In 1880, Durango was platted by employees of General William Jackson Palmer of the Denver Rio Grande Railroad. East 3rd Avenue, known prior to 1893 as the "Boulevard", remains a prestigious residential area located along the bluffs overlooking the downtown commercial district. The quality of design and the variety of styles establish the district as the best local collection of late 19th and early 20th century residential architecture.
Quoted from the History Colorado website.