Calaveras County Points of Interest
The marker by the main entrance reads:
Originally located near Dr. Jones apothecary and destroyed by fire, during which chalice and other sacred appurtenances were carried to safety by “Auntie” Moran in her voluminous apron. Present edifice financed by gold dust collected by the miners and begun in 1858 by the pastor, Rev. Father J. Motter, “The Church Builder of Calaveras County,” and dedicated Sunday, November 3, 1861, by the Most Reverend Joseph Adoc Alemany, Archbishop of San Francisco.