Calaveras County Points of Interest
A marker by the entrance reads:
The Old Corner Saloon
In the 1860’s Copperopolis had a population of 10,000 and was the principal mine in the west. The mine closed in 1945.
This building has housed a saloon since it was built in 1862. Twice it survived raging fires which destroyed the town.
The bar operated through Prohibition as a “speakeasy” in the basement. The main floor was a soda parlor and had a buzzer set up to warn those below of approaching law enforcement.
The upstairs functioned as a rooming house and a brothel.
Dedicated by Matuca Chapter 1849
E Clampus Vitus
April 5, 1997 (6002)
Credo quia absurdum