National Register of Historic Places in Calaveras County
The Utica Mansion is one of the most significant buildings within the historic gold rush community due to its construction and remodeling by the Leeper and Lane mining families and its long-time association with the Utica Mine. It is the only house in the town dignified with the adjective "mansion".
It was originally a two-story stone Federal house built in 1882 by Robert Leeper, owner of the Utica Mine, on the millsite property. In 1884 Leeper and others sold the Utica Mine to Charles D. Lane, who was to become the most prominent mining man in Calaveras County history.
In 1888 Leeper sold the stone house to Lane and in the early 1890's Lane began the elaborate transformation into the extensive mansion that remains today as a symbol of the era when the mines and the mills controlled the economy of the Foothills.
It remained the property of the Utica Mining Company until sold in 1952, serving as the center for major social events of the community for many years. With the exception of minor alterations to the lower floor in the 1950's, the house appears as it did in the 1890's.
Excerpted from the NRHP nomination.