California Historical Landmarks in Calaveras County
California Historical Landmark 267
457 Main Street
James L. Sperry and John Perry opened the Sperry and Perry Hotel on August 20, 1856. In 1881 Henry Atwood and then Harvey Blood owned it. In 1882, the Mitchler family renamed it the Mitchler Hotel. In 1945, the McKimins' changed its name to Murphys Hotel. In 1963, a College of the Pacific group purchased it. It is one of the oldest operating hotels in California.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 267
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Murphys A & Q. Inc. (owners), September 16, 1980.
In addition to being a California historical landmark, Murphys Hotel was listed on the national Register of Historic Places on 23 November 1971.