California Historical Landmarks in Butte County
California Historical Landmark 840
Chico Forestry Station and Nursery
East 8th Street In Bidwell Park
In 1888, the State Board of Forestry established an experimental forestry station and nursery. A companion to the Santa Monica station established in 1887, the two were the first such stations in the nation. Exotic and native trees were tested and produced for scientific and conservation purposes. The station was operated by the Board of Forestry until 1893.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 840-2
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the California Division of Forestry and the city of Chico, May 25, 1972.