National Register of Historic Places in Amador County
St. Sava Church, named for the Patron Saint of the Serbian Orthodox Church, was the first Serbian Orthodox church in America. It continues to be the focus for Serbian culture and unity in the Jackson area.
The design incorporates traditional references to small churches in Serbia, brought to the new country in the minds of immigrant Serbian gold miners and their families.
Toward the end of the 19th century, northern California's gold mines drew many Serbians to Amador and Calaveras Counties. Serbians in America established benevolent societies and social organizations to provide services to their communities: assistance to the sick and aged, burials for the dead, celebrations for ethnic and religious holidays, perpetuation of Slavic music and dance and customs.
Among the first of these societies was the Slavonian Illyrian Benevolent Society of San Francisco, established in 1857. Amador County Serbs established the St. Sava Church Organization of Amador County in 1886-1887 and completed their church in 1894.
Adapted from the NRHP nomination dated 4 February 1986.